Martha Blessing began her career in the wellness sector over 3 decades ago as a registered nurse. Early on, she recognized that in order to prevent burnout from the high demands of being a healthcare worker, she needed to place a high priority on caring for her physical, mental, and emotional well-being. Finding joy and fulfillment from her work and life was particularly important to her. She has extensive knowledge and expertise in the wellness arena, but it is her daily wellness practices that are impressive and what we wanted to learn more about.
Our interview with Martha was as follows:
Q: Why is it important for entrepreneurs to dedicate time towards their personal health and wellness?
Conscious entrepreneurs go into business because they have a desire to bring a personal passion into making a better world. But I believe they also desire a sense of freedom in their lives.
Sacrificing one’s health and wellbeing for the business will never bring true freedom. It erodes enthusiasm for their dream, extinguishes the passion fires, and leads to poor health and feeling out of control.
Q: What are 5 things entrepreneurs can begin today to improve their well-being?
1. Schedule well-being habits into your daily calendar and make them non-negotiable. Consistency is key! If all you can manage is 15 minutes of yoga, it’s better to do that every day, than it is to try to fit in a 70-minute yoga class at the studio once a week. The benefits of a 15-minute morning meditation practice are cumulative. A once a week practice isn’t enough to short circuit stress cycles. Put it on your calendar with the same importance you would give to a doctor’s appointment.
2. Create healthy “habit stacks” throughout your day. It can be so common for busy entrepreneurs to neglect daily self-care habits like staying hydrated or eating healthy foods. It is better to set yourself up for consistent daily energy with habit stacking. I put 3 liters of water on my kitchen counter every morning. I drink 16 oz with every meal. And I drink 8 oz every time I walk in the kitchen for something during my day. I am stacking my water consumption around habits that I already do in the course of my day. It is a great way to build consistency and routine. So often we make excuses by saying we do not have time for a healthy lifestyle while running a business. Habit stacking is the way out of that dilemma.
3. Harness the power of plant therapy. Therapeutic grade essential oils are one of the most powerful and cost-effective tools that any health-conscious entrepreneur can add to their daily routine to increase wellbeing, focus, balance, and performance. The oils can transform one’s ability to alleviate stress symptoms. Potent chemical compounds of plants promote wellness without the side effects. They offer natural plant-based solutions for every system of the body: circulatory, digestive, endocrine, immune, nervous, reproductive, respiratory, and musculoskeletal.
4. Elevate your nutrition. Fuel your body with high quality raw materials. When we feed ourselves fresh, nutrient-dense foods our body responds with good energy levels, focused mental clarity, and healthy digestion. It is hard to be on the top of your game in business if you can’t think clearly or have digestive problems distracting you from daily tasks. A diet high in processed foods causes blood-sugar imbalances and nutrient deficiencies. With a few simple tweaks like prep ahead meals, and nutrient dense smoothies you can elevate your nutrition to fuel your well-being and your business.
5. Replenish and Restore daily. Shut everything down. The world isn’t going to come to an end. Take a bath. Go for a walk. Play in the garden. Go for a bike ride. Read a book. Step away from ALL electronics. Our mind and central nervous system need several hours away from screens and the constant over stimulation. When all our energy is up in our heads, processing information, there isn’t enough to run the restorative and regenerative systems of our body. The result is anxiety, stress, insomnia, depression, and adrenal fatigue.
Q: Are there practices or techniques you have found to be helpful?
The number one tool I teach my clients is how to build a stillness practice, which is very different from meditation. It is simpler, easy to do, and provides benefits in as little as 15 minutes a day.
The second is to get outdoors and connect with nature, unplugged! No phone, no podcasts, no audio books, no music. Just shut it all down for 20 minutes and breathe in the fresh air. It gets us out of our heads, grounds us back in our bodies, and short circuits the multi-tasking mode that leads to burnout.
Q: What can entrepreneurs do to work these into their daily routine?
Schedule it into your day, just like any other critically important appointment. It may not seem that important, but it is if you don’t want to succumb to poor health and long-term stress related illness.
Q: Are there any additional resources you would recommend?
Healthy can be simple. Our bodies know how to be healthy, even while being a busy entrepreneur. If someone is experiencing unresolved health challenges the best place to start is to take the wellness barrier quiz, to determine which of the three wellness barriers is preventing them from creating the wellness they desire.
About Martha Blessing:
Martha G. Blessing, RN is a Healing Mentor, Wellness Expert, Clinical Ayurveda Practitioner, Energy Medicine Educator, and Medical Intuitive. She is the author of Healed & Unlimited: The Secret to Breaking Free from Chronic Dis-ease and Igniting Personal Power.
For over 25 years, her grounded wisdom, highly skilled capacity to hold space, and her razor-sharp aptitude for seeing her clients' deepest gifts—alongside their most critical stumbling blocks—make her a highly sought-after mentor.
She is the host of "The Place to Be Free" Podcast, and her work has been featured on Hay House Radio, Empower Radio, Authority Magazine and Thrive Global. She is a regular contributor at Root & Revel.
How can someone get in contact with you if they would like to learn more?
You can learn more or access free tools at marthablessing.com
If you are interested in growing your conscious business while evolving your personal health, wellness, and leadership development, we invite you to check out Shift/Co by attending one of our upcoming events.